Hotchkiss Brain Institute Friday Seminar Series
The HBI provides resources to support a strong and vibrant seminar series. Exposing our trainees and faculty to exceptional scientists on a regular basis provides an enriched academic environment. It also facilitates the creation of new research ideas, collaborations and trainee exchanges. The BSc Neuroscience program also runs a course based on the Friday seminar series to directly link trainee education to high-calibre neuroscience research.
The Friday Seminar Series hosts external (non-University of Calgary) and internal (University of Calgary) speakers. Speakers should be screened to fit the following criteria:
- Can deliver an excellent seminar at the advanced graduate student level.
- Seminar content must have a broad appeal to the majority of HBI members.
- The seminar be 45 minutes in duration, leaving a full 10 to 15 minutes for questions.
HBI members interested in hosting should first contact Dr. Matt Hill (email@example.com) to put forward the name of a potential speaker that meet the criteria above and to confirm the dates available for the speaker.
Terms of Reference:
- HBI Education can offer up to $2,300 (this ceiling takes into account international visitors) per approved speaker to give a seminar in our weekly series.
- The host must be a full member of the HBI or HBITO trainee.
- Two nights stay for speaker.
- A speaker dinner should be restricted to the speaker + 2 or 3 faculty members only. Reimbursement for the evening meal will not exceed $95 per person (including tip).
- University policy on allowable alcohol consumption is $15 per person per day.
- An honorarium of $250 CDN will be provided for each external speaker.
- All expenses must be submitted within eight weeks of the seminar.
- Hosts must be present and fully available the day of the seminar for the speaker or have alternate arrangements made.
- Hosts should have own administrative support coordinate prep work with HBI Education administration or be willing to do necessary administrative work on own.
- All necessary info for advertising purposes must be provided to HBI Education administration a minimum of two weeks before the host date to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any exceptions to these terms of reference must be requested in writing, with justification, at least six weeks in advance of the seminar to the Education Director (email@example.com). Unless otherwise approved, expenses over and above what is outlined in these terms of reference will be the responsibility of the host.
Legitimate Costs Include:
- Transportation: Economy class airline ticket, airport parking and taxi fares
- Accommodations: Maximum 2 nights reasonable hotel costs (e.g. Hotel Alma one bedroom suite)
- Meals: reasonable meal costs for speaker, trainee lunches and dinners (see terms of reference for speaker dinner)
This program is subject to the availability of funds.